Income from sales of the Philosophical Quarterly enables the SPA to offer grants to support philosophy events organised in Scotland, including conferences and workshops, reading parties, and public lectures (lectures for primarily non-academic audiences).
All funds in the current fiscal year (up to 31 August 2020) have been dispersed.
For events after 31 August 2020, we offer grants:
- of up to £750 for one-day events
- of up to £1250 for all other events
However, in exceptional cases, and only when the need and justification for such additional funding is clear, the SPA can provide grants of up to £2,500.
The SPA normally will not support individual talks to academic audiences (i.e., academic research events that are not plausibly “workshops” or “conferences”); however, in exceptional circumstances, and only when the need and justification for such funding is clear, the SPA may support such talks.
Applications can be made at any time.
*NEW* In order to apply, please fill out the following form:
Send the completed form to the Secretary at email@example.com.
Some guidelines for applications:
- Application budgets are normally expected to show other sources of income (e.g. support from the department hosting the event).
- SPA conference grants normally take the form of a guarantee against losses.
- SPA conference grants are normally made for events being held in Scotland.
- Events to be supported by the SPA are normally open to all SPA members and to all philosophy students in Scotland.
- The SPA expects that applicants will have given proper consideration to gender balance amongst the participants (speakers, commentators, chairs) in the planning of events. The SPA also expects that applicants give consideration to accessibility in the planning of their events, and asks applicants to note reasonable efforts made in this regard. (See suggested guidelines for accessibility here and gender here.)
- Up to an additional £500 (guarantee against losses) is available to offset costs of dependent care that are specifically incurred for conference attendance.
- Note: The SPA normally does not fund applications proposing to utilize SPA funds for food/refreshments for non-speakers/organizers.
Decisions about conference grants are made by the SPA Committee.
The SPA budget year runs from 1 September – 31 August. In recent years, all annual allotted funds are committed roughly by April. Please keep this in mind when planning applications.
Supported conferences should acknowledge the financial support of the SPA on all the publicity announcing the event. SPA logos can be downloaded here: round-black, round-white-1, round-white-2, round-invert, horizontal-black, horizontal-white.